Wednesday, August 31, 2016

I am involved in a community that a lot of people look down on. As time has progressed, though, we have become more and more accepted. I am a part of the LGBT community. I am proud daily to be able to say that I am a part of this community, while some others struggle with this. I feel as if I have been blessed with an accepting family, although when I first came out it was kind of tough for them to grasp everything but they always tried to understand things even though they were a bit blurry and new for them. Being in the LGBT community can be hard at times, especially with big nationwide changes happening and not to forget the few closed-minded people who couldn't possibly even begin to understand love beyond a traditional couple, a man and a woman.
Some of the misconceptions that people have about the LGBT community is that we as a whole do not like heterosexual people, and that is not true at all. I do believe that some of us involved in the LGBT community are somewhat hesitant when it comes to heterosexual people, because there are those few who can be very hurtful with their views towards us. I believe that if you do have views that could potentially be hurtful to some, you should keep them to yourself. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Mattie! I feel like my classrooms have becoming more and more accepting over the last few years, and more students feel comfortable being out and vocal. But I know it's still a struggle sometimes (for me too!)

    ReplyDelete