Wednesday, September 7, 2016

I have chosen The Hope Center in Lexington, Kentucky.  The Hope Center is an organization that shelters and promotes career building, mental health, ending addiction and encourages skill building within the homeless community. I would like to find out how this organization is funded, what types of events they are involved in, and what the foundational history of this shelter is. I have always had an interest in the homeless community and wanting to learn more about what these type of organizations can do for them. I would like to broaden my perspective beyond all of the stereotypes that I have heard from the society around me about this specific topic. I am choosing The Hope Center because it is in my hometown, where I have seen homelessness become quite a normal occurrence. I would like to open my eyes to all the underlying issues that this community truly deals with despite all of the things that I have heard from the people who know very little if at all anything about this community as a whole. I hope that by the end of this semester I have developed an appreciation for this community and the volunteers who devote their time and energy towards it. 

1 comment: